It’s hard to put a finger on any one thing that has inspired me to all but give up comfy fun vacations & go to dirty poverty stricken lands to walk in sewage and play with lice covered children. But here’s a few things that have moved me:
• Obviously Christ Himself. Our King, our Almighty God came down from His ruling throne to live among us as a carpenter, a “nobody” and then sacrifice Himself to bring us back into relationship with Him. Everything about the Gospel inclines me to keep letting go of self gratification and make sure everyone has had a chance to know Jesus. “How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?” ~Rom. 10:14. Also if a verse like “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” ~James 1:27 doesn’t move you then you either don’t have the Spirit in you or you haven’t read it. Then there’s of course “The Great Commission” “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,” ~ Matt. 28:19.
• One time my friend Arianna [Orr] Krause showed up to my birthday party and gave me “Revolution in World Missions” by K.P. Yohannan. It’s funny because I don’t believe she had read it, but it was one of the most moving books I have ever read. (Interestingly enough it’s really about supporting native missionaries but that’s another topic!) K.P. is so Gospel motivated that he gives his book away for free! Get it here!
Also that book led to my discovery of Gospel for Asia. Founded by K.P. Yohannan, this ministry supports native missionaries mostly in India, but really all over Asia. They also run child sponsorships through their Bridge of Hope.
• Another book that rocked my world was Brucko by Bruce Olsen. An amazing story of true adventure. This book inspired me to reach the farthest corners of the earth with the Gospel. This story will amaze you & grab your heart.
• Compassion International. Of all the child sponsorship charities out there, Compassion is at the top of my list because they are first concerned with teaching the kids about Jesus and then helping them out of poverty. Watch their film on ending poverty!
• World Vision. Their work around the world has helped people with everything from disaster relief to clean water.
• Blood:Water Mission. Started by the band Jars of Clay, these guys really helping villages throughout Africa by building wells, bio-sand filters and more!
• Light Gives Heat. Mission: Empowering Africans through the encouragement of economic sustainability and creative endeavors. Motivating people in the west to “be the change they want to see in the world.” Vision: To See Africa rebuilt and renewed from the inside out and to see people in the West living with Hope! Also their documentary film “Moving On”.